SWPTI Advertising Policy
South West Public Transport Information Ltd (SWPTI) is the not for profit company, limited by guarantee, that has been set up by local authorities and major public transport operators in the South West of England to deliver the traveline public transport information service.
Why do we have adverts on our website?
We are non-profit making and like to keep our costs down to the partners who fund us. So, we have introduced advertising on our website in 2016 to keep the bills down a little. If you have an Android or iOS-based device, our free to download and use apps are advert free if you prefer to use these instead of our website. The links to the app stores are on the Home page of our website. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
Initially, all our ads are sourced through Google AdSense.
Our Policy for website advertising
1) We will not sell your personal details onto a third party – advertisers on our site may have access to your behaviour via cookies, but not your data.
2) We place ads based on where they perform best – if a page happens to sell lots of widgets, we will advertise more widgets on that page.
3) We will not use behavioural targeting unreasonably – if you go to a site about watches we will assume you are interested in watches. It’s not a sinister action, it just makes sense. You don’t have to buy the watches any more than you have to buy anything else! We won’t behaviourally target anything that might embarrass you, and you always have the option to opt out.
4) We request that you don’t use ad blockers – contrary to popular belief we do sometimes get paid for you just seeing advertising without you clicking or buying anything. If you like our site, please don’t block our ads – it’s an easy way for you to pay us for using it, without it costing you anything.
5) We run more ads than it is reasonable to keep track of, therefore if you have a complaint about an ad for any reason, please get in touch with us and let us know and we will do what we can about it – it’s not in our interests to displease our users*
6) We do not allow ads which make you download anything (especially viruses!), or which break the site in anyway. If you see an ad which does this, please let us know and we will hunt it down and switch it off as soon as possible*
We’re not trying to trick you into buying things you don’t want or need, we’re just making you aware of the dynamic you are already involved in, so that you can consciously take part. Advertising has been rightly and wrongly demonised over the years, but it is part of keeping the internet free, so working together we hope we can make it a more reasonable payment system for everyone.
* To help us find the offending ad, please send us a screenshot of the ad, the URL you saw it on and what country you are in if possible. So you know, we will also contact AdSense about the problem as they supply these on an agency basis.